Histopathological Findings for Cervical Lesions in Malaysian Women


Objective: The objective of this study was to determine the histopathological features and cell morphologyof various cervical lesions observed among Malaysian women. Methodology: A retrospective study was conductedto evaluate 77 cervical cases collected from the histopathology laboratory of Ipoh hospital from 1st January,2005, to 31st December, 2006.
Results: Cervical intraepithelial neoplasia (CIN) was found in 33 (42%) cases,CIN III accounting for 27%, and CIN I, CIN II and CIN II-III 5% each. The highest rate for CIN cases was43% in the 41-50 year age group and the lowest rate was 6% in the group aged 61-70 years . Non-keratinizingand metastatic squamous cell carcinomas (SCCs) accounted for 16% and 13%, respectively, the combinationbeing second in majority (29%), followed by adenocarcinoma (17%). The histopathological results showed CINI to be characterized by mild papillary projections of the epithelium with some degree of nuclear enlargement,pleomorphism, mild koilocytosis, bionucleated cells and a low nucleo-cytoplasmic ratio. CIN II demonstratedtypical squamous epithelium with disorganization of the lower part of the epithelium accompanied by nuclearhyperchromatism, an increased nucleo-cytoplasmic ratio, and scanty mitotic figures. CIN III was characterizedby pleomorphic nuclei, atypical cells with mitotic figures, nucleo-cytoplasmic ratio, anisokaryosis andhyperchromasia.
Conclusion: Lesions related to cervical cancer showed tumor progression correlating withhistopathological changes in cell morphology.