Colorectal Cancer Screening amongst First Degree Relatives of Colon Cancer Cases in Jordan


Objectives: Early detection and screening for colorectal cancer is important among first degree relatives (FDR)of colon cancer cases.
Methods: Our target population comprised all such FDR, above 40 years of age, registeredduring the years 2003-2007, Jordan. Detailed information about cancer cases was collected from Jordan CancerRegistry. The screening study was conducted through two stages, where all FDR were examined at their homesfor any suggestive related symptoms of colorectal cancer, then those who were suspected to have cancer werereferred to hospital for confirmatory colonoscopy.
Results: First degree relatives amounted to 3,574 subjects,153 (4.3%) were complaining of signs and/or symptoms suggestive of CRC. Of them 58 (37.9%) did not acceptcolonoscopy. The confirmation colonoscopy results for the remaining 95 (62.1%) indicated two confirmed CRCcases. Seventy three percent of the suspected cases complained mainly from change in bowel habit and about onefifth felt cramping.
Conclusion: This study raised the question of cost effectiveness and cost benefits of runninga nationwide screening program for such cancer in a developing country. On the other hand it highlights theimportance of early detection activities in Jordan as it was the first study to be conducted among a communitydwelling high risk population in the country.Keywords: Colorectal cancer - screening - early