Purpose: To assess the safety and efficacy of a gemcitabine plus docetaxel regimen as a second line therapy for patients with advanced soft tissue sarcoma (STS) resistant to doxorubicin and ifosfamide-based therapy. Patients and
Methods: Medical records of 64 patients with advanced STS who received gemcitabine plus docetaxel regimen as a second line treatment between May 2006 and June 2011 were examined. All patients had been previously treated with doxorubicin plus ifosfamide-based regimen at first line setting. Patients received gemcitabine 900 mg/m2 on days one and eight intravenously over 90 minutes, followed by docetaxel 75 mg/m2 on day eight intravenously over one hour. Cycles were repeated every 3 weeks.
Results: The male-to-female ratio was 37/27 and the median age was 44 years (range; 19-67 years). Objective responses were observed in 13 (20.3 %) patients (2 CR, 11 PR) and stable disease in 21 (32.8 %). Total clinical benefit (CR+PR+SD) was observed in 34 (53.1 %). Median overall survival (OS) was 18 months (95% confidence interval (CI):12.1-23.9) and Median time to progression (TTP) was 4.8 months (95% CI: 3.6-6). A total of 243 cycles of chemotherapy were administered. The median number of cycle was 3 (range;1-11). The most common grade 3-4 hematologic toxicity was neutropenia (35.9 %). The most common nonhematologic toxicities consisted of nausea/vomiting (37.5 %), mucositis (32.8 %), peripheral neuropathy (29.7%), and fatigue (26 %). There was no toxicity-related death.
Conclusion: The combination of gemcitabine plus docetaxel is an active and tolerable regimen as a second line therapy for patients with advanced soft tissue sarcoma who have failed doxorubicin and ifosfamide-based therapy.