Improved Diagnostic Accuracy in Characterization of Adnexal Masses by Detection of Choline Peak Using 1H MR Spectroscopy in Comparison to Internal Reference at 3 Tesla


Background: The aim of this study was to assess the role of the presence of a choline peak in 3 Tesla 1Hmagnetic resonance spectroscopy (MRS) for differentiating benign from malignant adnexal masses. Materials and
Methods: A total of 46 adnexal masses (23 malignant and 23 benign) underwent 1H MRS study prior to surgeryto assess the presence of choline peak.
Results: A choline peak was detected in 16 malignant masses (69.5%) andwas absent in the other 7 (30.5%). A choline peak was only detected in 6 (26%) of the benign adnexal masses.The presence of an MRS choline peak had a sensitivity of 69.5%, a specificity of 74%, a positive predictivevalue (PPV) of 72.7%, and a negative predictive value (NPV) of 71% for diagnosing malignant adnexal masses.A significant difference between the frequency of mean choline peaks in benign and malignant adnexal masseswas observed (P value < 0.01).
Conclusions: A 1H MRS choline peak is seen in malignant adnexal masses morefrequently than the benign masses, and may be helpful for diagnosing malignant adnexal masses