Clinicopathological Evaluation of Odontogenic Tumours in Pakistan - A Seven Years Retrospective Study


Background: The purpose of the study was to analyse the clinicopathological spectrum of benign and malignantodontogenic tumours (OT) in Pakistan. Materials and
Methods: This retrospective study was carried out at theArmed Forces Institute of Pathology (AFIP) Rawalpindi. Seven years archival records of histologically diagnosedodontogenic tumours, both benign and malignant, were collected and the lesions re-diagnosed histologically inaccordance with the WHO classification of head and neck tumours (2005). Clinical as well as histological datawere analysed and frequency of each type of OT was calculated using computer software programme SPSS(version 17). Mean tumour size was calculated and Chi-square test was applied to find associations of age, genderand site with each histological type of tumour.
Results: Only 1.7% of the odontogenic tumours diagnosed in thissaid period were malignant while the remaining 98.3% were benign. Amongst benign lesions, ameloblastomawas the most common (61.3%) type while primary intraosseous squamous cell carcinoma (1.7%) was the onlyreported malignant tumour. Mean age of the affected patients was 31.7±16.7 years with posterior mandible as thecommonest site involved.
Conclusions: Our study revealed ameloblastoma and primary intraosseous squamouscell carcinoma as the commonest diagnosed benign and malignant tumours respectively. There was a significantdifference in age and site of origin of different types of OT at the time of their presentation. However, all thetumours showed male predominance.