Mantle Cell Lymphoma: A North Indian Tertiary Care Centre Experience


Department of Medical Oncology, IRCH,All India Institute of Medical Science, New Delhi, India


Background: Mantle cell lymphoma (MCL) is an aggressive non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma, with a pathognomonic chromosomal translocation t (11;14). Prognosis is uniformly dismal but there is a paucity of information on MCL from India. Materials and methods: We retrospectively analysed clinicopathological information on all treated patients with MCL at our centre. STATA 14.0 was used for analysis. Survival was assessed by Kaplan-Meier analysis and the Cox’s proportional hazards method. Statistical significance was defined as a P value of < 0.05. Results: Fifty-one patients with MCL were reviewed. The median age at presentation was 57.0 years. Extranodal involvement was seen in 39.0 (74.0%) while bone marrow positivity at presentation was found in 27.0 (54.0%). Initial treatment was chemotherapy with or without rituximab. Patients receiving rituximab-based therapy (n = 24) had 5-year progression-free survival (PFS) of 21.0 (88.0%), compared with 14.0 (61.0%) for those not receiving rituximab (n = 23, P = 0.036). Twenty-three patients were alive with a median follow-up of 20.7 months (range 2.5-89.2). PFS at 1 and 2 years was 51.0% and 27.0%, and overall survival (OS) 78.0% and 72.0%, respectively. Use of more than 2.0 lines of therapy, use of bendamustine-rituximab, and high TLC (>10,000.0/ significantly affected PFS. Conclusions: In our experience, MCL patients from north India have an early age at presentation. When treated with regimens including rituximab results in an improved response rate and PFS. This study provided comprehensive insights into the treatment of MCL in a developing country.